12.10.2010

You Wrote on My Wall

--A Call to Righteousness

Daniel 5:5
Suddenly the fingers of a human hand appeared and wrote on the plaster of the wall, near the lampstand in the royal palace. The king watched the hand as it wrote.

I laughed and danced and sang at will
I brought the golden goblets in
I watched as others had their fill
I never bothered to look within
I spilled my wine and ate the food
I sinned with eyes that feasted
I let the priests do all the good
I continued with what pleased me
I spoke with words that were empty
I chose the gods of silver and gold
I praised those that gave me plenty
I befriended those that fit the mold
I humbled the poor and burdened low
I prided myself in my mighty power
I never thought that what I sowed
I'd reap in heaps till I cowered
But then you wrote on my wall
You cautioned me with words
You wrote a warning, a solemn call
You wrote this and I heard:

Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Your kingdom is at an end
The gods you worshipped
Are broken and done
You have been weighed
And found wanting
So now your kingdom
Will be divided
I am through with you
For you took the goblets
Made of gold
And drunk from them
You fool!

I woke up from my sordid dream
I was startled from my sleep
I had a nightmare it would seem
I was sentenced to the deep
I hesitated as I stood
I swallowed nervously
I couldn't remember as I should
The outcome of the dream
You had written on my wall
You had cautioned me with words
You had sentenced me to fall
You had written and I had stirred

I whirled around to my wall
I looked at it's pale, white surface
And written in red was a call
And it declared my purpose
"These things happened as examples...
and were written down as warnings for you...
So from goblets dedicated to my temple
You should not drink that sinful brew
But rather drink of my living water
Priceless and holy to flow within
For I have made you my holy daughter
I have bought you from your sin"

I laughed and danced and sang at will
I brought the golden goblets in
And in your holy presence, still
I was filled with love from within
You wrote those words upon my wall
You brought me and took me in
You wrote a warning, and with the coal
You touched my lips
Amen.


--MovingGirl

Created 12-10-10

No comments:

Post a Comment