12.23.2010

Oh the blessings of life

Two and a half years ago, I entered into the adventure of a lifetime. It has been the most incredible experience.

Michael and I met at crash (before it was known as crash). Over three years ago. We started talking and quickly became best friends. After a while I worked up the courage to tell him I liked him. At that point, he wasn't sure if he felt that way about me. He gently asked if we could just be friends. He didn't want to stop being friends. He also didn't want to hurt me. He was so sweet about it. So we stayed friends. But a few months later he told me he liked me too. We waited to date though. He had other stuff going on in his life, and he wasn't ready for that kind of relationship. Another few months later, he asked me to be his girlfriend. And I happily said yes. We've had a lot of struggles along the way. Speed-bumps and detours. There's been a lot of pain. But there's also been a lot of joy. And the joy makes the pain so worth it. Not to mention the growth we experience coming out of the pain, the dark times, the valleys. I wouldn't change anything about our story.

When I was a little girl, I used to dream of being swept off my feet and carried off into the sunset by a handsome prince charming. But nothing I ever dreamed up in those silly little girl dreams could ever come close to the love story that I am living. I couldn't dream of a more handsome prince charming, both inside and out, and I couldn't be swept off my feet more - or better - than I am now.

Something that I've been learning about myself, especially recently, is that there is nothing more attractive to me than a man seeking after God. Every time Michael talks about what God has been showing him or doing through him, or how much he wants God's will, or reminds me to be praying God's will, I see I love this man more and more each and every day. I'm excited to see what God has planned for us next.

One of the greatest things is that through it all, we have always been best friends. We may fight or disagree. I may annoy him like nothing else and he may get on my last nerve. But those times are so worth it. And we can work through the disagreements and the hard times.

Something I came to realize just today -- I know, I should have realized it sooner -- is this:

well, sometimes he surprises with flowers or a small gift. He loves getting me things and spoiling me, if he can. And that is all very well and wonderful and sweet. But I wouldn't mind not having that. Because this man showers me with LOVE. He constantly looks for ways to express his love. He listens to me and he's working very hard to learn my love language. Through it all, I know I'm loved without a doubt, because he always finds a way to show me.

I am in awe of how incredibly blessed I am to not only have him, but his family as well. Today has been a wonderful day full of blessings.

~Daughter of the Most High

2 comments:

  1. "Something that I've been learning about myself, especially recently, is that there is nothing more attractive to me than a man seeking after God."
    I love this because it is so true...there is absolutely NOTHING more attractive than a guy after God's own heart. That is definitely what a girl wants in a guy, no matter what they may say, and I am so happy that God has blessed you with Michael because it is obvious that he loves God.
    Happy times for you both!

    --MovingGirl

    ReplyDelete