10.22.2010

It's Bad

You know it's bad when you can spout millions of random interesting facts about the Tennessee/Kenucky/W. Virginia/North Carolina/Indiana/Illinois area, but what is worse is when you start taking over all the financial aspects of moving for your parents. I know exactly how much it will cost us to move from Alaska to Nashville/Clarksville Tennessee, and the advantages of flying, driving, (or a combo) out of here. I can tell you that it is cheaper to ship our worldly possessions through Northstar than any other, and that campers and trailers down in Washington would be a much cheaper buy than up here. That is calculating money spent on food, hotels, etc. to get to WA, too. And versus the alternative.

I know how much we should sell our house for and what it is worth. Call me the cheap appraiser. I did all the research for free. Right now, entering winter, our house would probably be able to sell for about 300grand. Later in the spring we could get anywhere between 310 and 325, depending on the market. I know that If we can put so much money down on a house in TN, the monthly payment with taxes would be considerably more reasonable than here, and that even with the sales tax and all the other ridiculous taxes we would come out ahead. The problem therein lies with the job my dad gets then. He'd have to be making as much as he is now, and job opportunities down there are not as prominent. So, we will want to go a bit cheaper on a house/land so that we can make up for any deficits that may occur regarding jobs.

I know the benefits (financial and physical) of buying a 'used' home versus new, versus modular, etc. We know we do not want a mobile home, but something more permanent, preferably 4 bedroom, but more is always nice, 2.5 baths (my mom is stickler about this one, according to her, we must have a guest bathroom.) We want no less than 2200 square feet if possible, and a nice big front porch is preferable. We would like to have a separate laundry/facility room, and at least a detached garage; a basement would be nice as well rather than a crawlspace, but prices jump a good 10 to 20 grand. Another preference which I could see being the clincher for us is an extra room somewhere that we could convert into a library/study with a big dining table in the middle for doing work, research and the random huge puzzle on. The final thing that we are really looking for, and which is more important than anything but the 2.5 baths (my mom is very certain about this...) is we want at least 10 acres of land, preferably more. A good 20-40 would be excellent. (Wooded mainly, with just a little cleared or pasture land. We want some privacy and quiet.)

So now that I've discussed what it is that we want in a new place, I've gone and looked at every possible option for getting that. (What we are leaning toward now is buying a nice plot of land with a small, but decent mobile for a good price, and then getting a modular home built to our desires.--Then we would possibly sell the mobile home to a couple who are looking to move to the same area [they are family] or use the mobile as a mother-in-law apartment for grandparents. [Which is why it needs to be in decent condition.]) Anyway, there are about 3 million possible options for things to happen and I feel that I have researched everything but maybe the last ten, so if there are any questions concerning any of this, I'm your, uh...go-to-girl.

This was an intensely boring and random blog but since I don't care and its nice to spit the basics out, I wrote it anyway.
On an exciting note, I'm attending an authentic Japanese Kabuki on Sunday evening, and although I don't have a kimono, I'll go dressed in style. ;)

--Moving Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment